Sunday, May 15, 2011

Living Below the Line: Shopping Day.

Well, the Solidarity Sisters are in it, no turning back now. Tomorrow we start our five-day challenge to live on $1.50 a day for all of our food and drink needs. So today, the five of us spent a good part of the afternoon planning meals, shopping for provisions and divvying up group purchases.


Surprisingly, we got what seems like a good bit of food for less than $7.50 each, thanks to Susie's excellent recon missions (look at our purchases to the right!) Our stops included Aldi, Dollar General and the Dekalb Farmer's Market; we purchased a wide variety of items for so little money. Well, I say that now... check back on Wednesday and see if I'm still of the same opinion. My rations for the week include:
  • rice
  • beans - pinto and black
  • cornbread
  • bread
  • peanut butter
  • yogurt
  • bananas
  • lettuce
  • carrots
  • corn tortillas
  • margarine
  • ginger snaps (I mean, a girl's gotta have some snacks...)
  • saltine crackers
  • herb de provence
  • garlic
  • onion
  • frozen corn
  • frozen peas
Not bad, eh? I'm feeling pretty good about it, especially since we were able to get some "luxury" items like yogurt and ginger snaps. We have two group meals planned: Nicole and I made some black bean burgers for tomorrow night and Vanessa graciously offered to make some cornbread and pintos. Yummy! Though it feels weird to comment on the quality of the food... in my little Q'eqchi village in Guatemala the women found it funny when we would say that the food was delicious. I guess as Americans, taste is often more of a focus than the fact that we are able to feed ourselves. But it's not as if poor countries have no flavor, to the contrary. I had wonderful eats in Bangladesh thanks to my dear friends Anika and Alamgir... and Guatemala has the best tortillas anywhere... and if you've never had Ethiopian food, you are really missing out! I'll even give a shout out to the cous cous Sarah B. made us eat every day in Sierra Leone (you know i'm kidding, Sarah!) No, it's not that the world doesn't have flavor, it's just secondary to sustenance.

I'm planning to track my nutritional intake each day: calories; protein; fats and carbohydrates. Is it possible to eat a balanced diet on so little money? It could be an eye-opening experience! Check back each day to see how we make out.

To a great week for my Solidarity Sisters!

No comments:

Post a Comment